Welcome to Woodshop
Expectations for this course are for you to understand how to SAFELY operate the machinery to perform the basic functions without hurting yourself or the machine.
You are not expected to become an experienced woodworker once you complete the course, but you are expected to become a safe and courteous woodworker.
Once you complete the course, you will be required to schedule an in-person review where you will be asked to demonstrate that you have learned the material and are comfortable to work safely on your own on the following machines.
- Drill Press – NOVA voyager dvr
It is crucial that you read all of the material offered in this course thoroughly. There is a lot to cover and 100% of the trainers’ time is volunteered. Please be respectful and come prepared!
We have woodshop assistants and a woodshop boss who schedule time in the woodshop should you have questions or need specific guidance after completing the course.
- Sleeves out of the way
- No hand jewelry or dangling necklaces/earrings
- No gloves near blades
- Closed-toe shoes
- Long hair tied back
- Safety glasses required
- Hearing protection required – hearing protectors with radios not allowed as you need to be able to hear the machine running
- Don’t operate a machine that is tagged out of service
- Put things back where they came from
- Clean up after yourself
- Turn on the dust collector, and open appropriate blast gates before turning on machinery. Close any unused gates to increase suction.
- Please endeavor to work cooperatively with other members present so that all may be able to accomplish their tasks.
- NOTIFY a shop boss or shop assistant when a machine is out of order and fill out an “out of service tag” and place on machine.